Perception Session #2
Started to look more deeply at how audio/sounds affect me on a physical level. I looked at pieces of music that gave me a sense of frisson, or otherwise elicited a physical reaction in me. Examples will be EDM tracks that make use of audio phasing to generate a kind of visceral response, or certain classical pieces where the crescendo is written to stir the emotions.
I learned that there are similarities in terms of complexity and volume in these pieces, but it’s difficult for me to identify a true commonality between them that would allow for a “formula” to be used to create a similar piece of audio.
Some pieces I went back to:
- Deadmau5: Sofi Needs A Ladder
- Philip Glass: Music in Twelve Parts
- Alejandro Guzmán Rojas: VVitch OST
- Ludwig van Beethoven: Symphony No. 7 Allegretto
- Edward Elgar: Nimrod, Enigma Variations (Adagio)
So what is the feeling these pieces engender?
- Rhythmic, binaural audio, frisson.
- A state of relaxation, decreased heart rate.
- Fear. Nervousness.
- Empowerment. Being “stirred”.
- Patriotism. Pathos.
How to represent that as a resolved piece of my own work?