Perception Session #1
- Confirm topic area – which sensory modality
- Creative Piece
Which Sensory Modality?
I think I will go with Sound/Audio/Aural/Hearing.
Opportunity to continue from Spatial Design? Add spatial sound?
Experiment with more with audio synthesis?
- Reuse the work I did in Spatial.
- Design a spatial audio environment (Use SSR?).
- Experiment with entering laving buildings and other enclosed spaces.
- Bit boring?
- Build a sound enabled app.
- Trigger (spatial) audio when various actions are detected?
- Totally my comfort zone.
- Create a simple game using audio clues.
- Maybe use Processing’s sound panning?
- Again, my IT comfort zone. Get out of this!
- Walkthrough a landscape using ambient sounds.
- Create emotions? Fear? Anticipation?
What to investigate next
Would really like to look at how sounds and stereo imaging causes almost physical reactions.
There’s a Deadmau5 track called Sofi Needs A Ladder that has a really strange intro, using out of sync stereo (binaural?) beats from what sounds like a saw tooth waveform from a synth modulating another oscillator. The out of sync combined with distortion and delay induces almost physical feeling – frisson – and I’m interested to do more exploration of this. Time to break out the modular synth again?
Could potentially look at how music alters mental state?